I am sure this would be an eye opening moment for many teachers, others, just cannot believe that students might not actually think what the teacher has to say is important. It is true, most students in class today are just bored. They do not want to hear the teacher talk. How can the students care about the process of Meiosis when there is so much more important things to look at on Twitter, Instagram, or sending a quick pic on Snapchat. CLASS IS BORING! A statement heard by many teachers. So what can we as new teacher candidates do? We can't just go into class expecting to entertain the students, we do have to get content in. But there are a few little tricks that can be done through out the class that can at least get the blood going in the students so that they don't fall asleep at their desks.
According to the Veteran Teacher, we should:
- Take a break halfway through the class. I am currently on block scheduling and definitely let the students take a 5 minute break. I ask them to do something like pick up a handout, their iPad, or return books during the time. As long as they get what is needed during that time, the students are free to move about the class, chat, and just take a moment to recover.
- Build more hands on activities. This is not so hard for Science teachers, just do labs.
- Short bursts of information rather than long lectures.
- DO NOT TALK SO MUCH. You might love to hear yourself talk, the students don't.
- Start the class out with an Essential Questions. This will guide the student's learning.
- Let the students question
- Don't be sarcastic
There are a few others that this teacher put down, but I feel these are the most important and what I want to work on in my classroom. Hopefully, this will bring some life to my students and get them to want to be in my class a little more that other classrooms.
And if all else fails, learn Magic, that should keep their attention.